So, I was drinking the last of some leftover coffee that I had poured from the pot this morning and when I went to wash the pot, I was surprised at what I saw. As I dumped the remaining drops out of the pot I saw easily a quarter cup of loose grounds in the bottom of the pot. "Gross, " I thought to myself as I realized that the crunchy bits in my coffee were probably not the result of the vanilla wafer I had dunked in it, but coffee grounds instead.
I wished I hadn't noticed the coffee grounds and just kept with my wafer crumb thinking instead. This led me to think about how life can be sometimes.
One of my resolutions this year is to look at things with a different perspective. I've traditionally been a glass- half- empty kind of girl but I want to be a glass -half -full girl instead. My resolution this year when faced with challenges and negative experiences is to find the half- full perspective. In fact, to not even have to find that perspective, but to have that perspective as an automatic response. In order to do this, I've begun to look closer at others' challenges and see that although different, we all have them. What makes one person's challenge truly different from another's is how they respond to them.
I think we can find "coffee grounds" in every situation if we look hard enough. But wouldn't it be better if we just accepted the situation as wafer crumbs instead? We can take anything and find an element of negativity if we look hard enough, but maybe we just shouldn't look that hard.
Maybe instead of looking down in the sink for the gross coffee grounds, we should just look up instead; enjoying the sweetness of the wafer crumbs. We can't ever go wrong by looking up to the heavens and remembering that one day there won't be one bad thing that happens here that even matters anyway. All that really matters is what we do when we realize we have coffee grounds instead of wafer crumbs and what we do when our glass really seems half empty. James 1:2 of the NIV states: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."
I myself will strive to joyfully choose the half-full perspective while enjoying only wafer crumbs. After all, one day, all the half empty glasses really will all be full and all the coffee grounds will be wafer crumbs...golden ones!
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
What a neat analogy! Thanks for sharing!
I really enjoyed your article! I am one of the P31 team who is reading this weekend and yours was a bright spot! Thank you for submitting it...loved it...the P31 readers would love this! Big Blessings to you, Shari Braendel
Post a Comment