A sleepover in the basement. Not with any other kids, just themselves...trust me, those 3 together are enough!
They were SO excited once I told them the news! I had been hoping to have them do this on a night that I wouldn't be home alone with them all night so that Jim could actually help with all the shenanigans. But then I realized that the kids shouldn't have to wait for eternity
Side note: Emily loves her mommy and she loves breastfeeding. I happen to love Emily and love breastfeeding too so it's a good match. I think by the time you get to your 4th kid all the parenting books go out the window and you just have to go with whatever works. With a house full of sleeping people including myself ,I just don't see the point in waking everyone up every night for a few weeks to let Emily "cry it out"to force her to sleep through the night which I realize she should be fully capable of. with every other kid I followed all the rules and forced them to sleep through the night(mostly) around 6 months, but you know, by number 4 all those "rules" just have to give way to practicality. I battle all the other kids with who knows what all day the last thing I feel like doing during the night is battling more. I have no worries that I'm ruining her or spoiling her and this way I get to meet my daily quota of chubby cheek kisses. Ten peaceful minutes every couple of hours and we both usually fall asleep during the feeding anyway and everyone is happy.
Anyway, back to the sleepover. It was complete with a movie and popcorn although they didn't have those yummy malteds that my parents used to make for me when I had a sleepover (next time I'll be more prepared).
All in all it went really well. I was very proud of myself for having as much patience as I did and I knew the kids would need some time for goofing off and that they wouldn't get to sleep at their usual times and that would be OK. That's a pretty big step for this rule following gal! As the noise got louder, I just turned up my TV show louder. I knew ahead of time that I would need to have something to dornw out the noise
They were all asleep by 9:45...pretty good I thought. When I went down to check on them before I went to sleep was amazing to see them all lined up, sleeping together. I again had that familiar lump form in my throat as I looked at them all together. It was



4 comments:
Okay, first of all...HAD to comment because I TOTALLY Remember our sleepover routines at your house!!! Room-sized forts in your basement and popcorn and malteds at night and Mac&Cheese for lunch the next day...they were the BEST!!
And second, no qualms a/b getting up with Emily at night..I would have nursed Syd until she was in kindergarten if she was my 4th and if my husband would have let me. =) Kiss those cheeks and relish that time!! I miss it. (sort of..but let's be honest, I love having my sleep back! =)
Ah yes, the forts. This mom made no fort either although Levi made me promise that next time I would...let me just whip that out in my spare time!
Hey.......
I see that KIT was at the sleep over too!! Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love,
Grandpa "B"
of course KIT was there...she goes everywhere after all!
Post a Comment