Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Selective Memory


You know it's a pivotal day in history when your kid actually beats you at a game. Not just any old chance game...roll of the dice, flip of the card but a good old fashioned use your brain only kind of game. Memory. Levi. Blew his mother out of the water.

Last night, our family room was the scene. Just he and I were playing and he chose memory of all games. He also wanted to play with all of the cards. Since there are over 40 pairs of cards usually we just play with some under the assumption that he couldn't play with so many cards. This was my first wrong assumption.

He found the first pair fair and square early in the game. Figuring I would have to "not find" some pairs that I knew or help him find some of his own pairs this early find was quite the shocker. I decided not to give in to help him so quickly. Pair after pair kept building up in Levi's pile and my little pile was quickly dwarfed by his.

About this time my competitive nature kicked in and I realized that I was in trouble and needed to get down to some serious business in order to win. No matter what I did I could not find pairs like he could. He turned over the match so many times and I could swear that I'd never seen that card before yet with the way he turned it over it was obvious that it had been turned over before and I clearly forgot.

Me, not remember. Me, with the photographic memory. I drive myself crazy with the fact that I only have to look at a phone number once and it is forever ingrained in my memory. Handy when you're in the car and you need to call extraneous places like Sam's Club or Family Christian Store but a bummer when these things are taking up valuable brain space and you can't get them out.

Well, the final score was Levi 27 pairs, me.....15. Yikes. That's my boy! A day to remember indeed. I am amazed at the wonderment of children yet again. Levi can't seem to remember to put his pajamas away in the morning but his memory clearly works just fine. What's up with that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's my boy!